Coachella Valley was designated one of six initial Alignment USA communities and launched a version of Alignment's Web-based platform for community collaboration, communication, and outcomes measurement.
One Future Coachella Valley, formerly known as Coachella Valley Economic Partnership, believes that education is economic development and that education provides economic freedom to students who want to succeed in college, careers, and life. In a community of 425,000 permanent residents, with 71,000 public school students (K-12), roughly one-third of all children live in poverty and are at great risk for dropping out of high school. One Future is committed to developing a high-quality workforce, from within its own student population, for the best jobs of the future. One Future has increased the intellectual capital and workforce capacity of the region by aligning the community's education, workforce, and economic development efforts. The program convenes industry councils for three clusters identified by regional leaders as holding great economic promise for our students: Healthcare and Life Sciences; Arts, Media, and Entertainment; and Advanced Technology (Energy/Clean Tech).
At a Glance:
- There are 18 high schools academies
- Thirty-six career-themed programs include elementary, middle, and high school academies; career-themed course sequences; and after-school student organizations.
- More than 2,400 K-12 students (12% of the student population) are currently enrolled in academies.
- Each district currently has near-term plans to add two new academies, which will bring the region's total to 24 academies across three districts. The Master Plan establishes a target of 30% of students learning in high school academies by 2018.
- Pathways offered in academies include the following: Culinary; Design, Visual, and Media Arts; Energy and Power Technology; Food Services and Hospitality; Health Careers; Healthcare Operational Support Services; Hospitality, Tourism, and Recreation; International Business; Patient Care; Public and Community Health; Public Service; and Technology of Landscape Management
More information on One Future can be found at http://portal.onefuturecv.org.
© Copyright 2017 Alignment USA